Friday, April 15, 2011

Why I continue to cheer for LeBron James

In June of 2003 LeBron James was selected #1 overall in the NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. At about the same time, I became a Cleveland sports fan. I didn't become a fan because of LeBron, I happened to meet my husband in April of 2003. He was born and raised in Cleveland and a die hard fan of Cleveland sports. Cleveland sports are a huge part of who he is and thus important to me as well. I grew up outside of Detroit and followed Detroit sports, but was more of a college fan growing up in Ann Arbor, the home of the University of Michigan. I tell people I'm a Cleveland fan by marriage. What I mean by this is that I am a Cleveland sports fan unless they are playing a Detroit team. We tend to not have many problems when the two cities meet, and actually had a lot of fun during the 2-3 years that the Cavs and Pistons were going at it in the playoffs.

I am a Cleveland fan, but since I didn't grow up there and have only been a fan for the past 8 years or so I don't fully understand and never will understand the meaning of being a Cleveland fan and all of the heartache the fans have endured over the decades. The Fumble, The Drive, The Shot are all examples of how the heart has been ripped out of Cleveland fans. I can empathize to a small degree having been present for Chris Webber's infamous timeout, but that's only one instance of heartache for a Michigan fan, the Cleveland fans have countless moments like these. The Name John Elway cannot be muttered in our household without utter contempt and disgust.

Clevelanders thought LeBron might be the answer to their championship drought and maybe he could bring some peace to a city that has had such heartache. He came close 3 times, reaching the NBA Finals once and having the best record and top seed in the playoffs the past two years. Coming so close and the hometown star surely knew the city's history with sports, he would certainly stay and sign another contract with Cleveland during his free agency. Instead, LeBron decided to leave Cleveland for Miami in hopes of finding a championship elsewhere. And now Cleveland has The Decision to add to its long list of sports disappointments.

LeBron's decision had an impact like no other because of the way he did it and the city he did it to. Had LeBron been playing in almost any other city the reaction would most likely have been different. My husband said to me just last night that no one cares that he left, its the way he left. He was a hometown kid that publicly in a one hour special on ESPN with millions watching humiliated his franchise and home and his decision would certainly cripple a city already hurting in tough economic times.

So being a Cleveland fan and having to hear about the losses and heartache for 8 years you may wonder how I can possibly cheer for LeBron. The answer is simple: I cheer for greatness. LeBron is arguably the best player in the NBA. The amount of talent, poise, skill, and heart he has for the game of basketball is tremendous. How can I not cheer for such a talent? When the stars are playing and winning, the game of basketball is better. The playoffs, which start tomorrow, will be better if LeBron is playing and winning.

Now I don't agree with the way LeBron left Cleveland, but having seen Dan Gilbert's reaction - which reminded me of a five year old's temper tantrum - there might be more behind why LeBron choose to take such a route. However, it really doesn't matter how he left, the important thing is why he left. He wants to win. Period. Isn't that the point of being the best player? Having championship(s) to show for all of your talent? And he felt that going to Miami was his best chance at winning.

I understand and respect any Cleveland fan that wants to see LeBron fail. I'm sure I might feel differently had I grown up in Cleveland. However, for all of the other fans out there, I don't get it. We should cheer and applaud greatness and those willing to do what it takes to win even if it means letting down his hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment